Thursday, February 19, 2009

January 28th. Oncologist visit. Bit of a shock is coming.

Oncologist is a great guy, young, my age I think. He took time to explain that I actually had/have two forms of cancer, the common one and a rare one and that the two lesions in my lungs need to be monitored. For the next 6 years I need to come back every two months and give blood and do either a CAT scan or a PET scan.

The shocked look on my face made him get up and close the door. He gave me some time to collect my thoughts. Shit, I feel fine. I even went back to work. I need to come here every two months? And what the hell is a PET scan?

We talk a bit more and he asks me if I did steroids. I thank him for the compliment but said no. I did tell him I had used pro-hormones in the past and asked him if that could have caused this? He said it was unlikely but that now my sex hormonal system has been affected; I cannot use anything for at least the 6 years he is going to treat me.

It could cause it to come back in the other testicles. There is a 5% change the area they took the testicle out of will have cancer again and a 15% chance it might come back in the other one. Steroids or not.

I had thought about it because I had lost 22lbs already since the operation and I thought it might help when going on chemo.

BUT: No chemo yet, he said. The lesions in my lungs are not large enough to do that yet. Let's check what the PET scan offers.

Heck, this tissue might not grow, ever. We do not know, we need to monitor you. We talk a bit, I give 10 more vials of blood and off I go.

Sweet mother of pearl, 6 times a year. I am not sure what I was thinking though.

I have cancer. They took an enormous tumor out of my body. I lost my testicle. What, I was going to take some whey protein and be fine? Wait till I am in excruciating pain somewhere else? Damn. Now I am going to be reminded of this crap every two months. And what the hell is a PET scan? I forgot to ask. Moron is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment