Wednesday, February 18, 2009

January 12th. Day 6. Surgery.

6 a.m. we arrive at the hospital. My good friend Tony and my oldest bring me and sit with me till I am taken away. My boy tears up a bit and gives me a hug. I tell him not to worry and that I love him and that I am very proud of him.

I thank him for being there with me and I'll see him tonight. My buddy will take him to breakfast and drop him off at school. Friends like that are rare. He is very worried, I can tell. I smile and tell him I will talk to him tonight.

7 a.m.
I.V.time. The nurse sticks this little needle in my right hand and the valves of the vein do not allow the needle to enter. SWEET LORD JESUS, that hurt. Unreal. I nearly faint. I have given blood dozens of times but somehow at that spot I just could not handle it. Not a good way to start. She says that the anesthesiologist will do it later. He does and uses the left hand and I felt nothing. Weird.

Urologist comes by. Big smile. Writes my initials on my left leg to make sure he takes out the right one. We joke a little and I am off to the operating room.

The anesthesiologist knows his craft and I am out like a light before I know it.

Noon: wake up time.
Augh.
Glad to be awake though. Nurses come to my aid, ask me how I am doing. Pretty good. Pain is quite intense. Morphine drip doesn't help. Vicadin doesn't either. I stop bothering them after an hour and want to get ready to go home. I'd rather watch TV there.

I am not allowed to leave till I can handle water and food and till I have urinated (to get the anesthesia out). I am lucky, a few hours later I eat well and go to the bath room. Amazingly it is not that painful to pee. That is a good sign, the nurses say.
My doctor recommends Percocet for the pain and 45 minutes later I've got quite the goofy smile on my face. The combination with morphine has me flying.

4 p.m. my wife and youngest one come pick me up. God Blessed me with my children. Their love can make you survive any kind of hell, that's for sure. Th elittle one helps me get dressed and puts his hand on my back to help me walk. My wife smiles and asks if I need any more help. "No, I got it mom", he says. Laughing hurts, but it was worth it.

Before I leave the nurse comes by to check a final time and of I go. The urologist will call me later to inform me. He was doing another surgery and I do not want to wait any longer. We get some more percocet and off we go.

7 p.m. phonecall.

"Marc, how are you?"
"Pretty good, actually. Nice work, doc. Incision looks good. Nice and thin. Prosthesis looks good too, thanks for that"
"Yep, nice to look symmetrical huh?"

We laugh a little and he tells me that my tumor was 6 centimeter in diameter and one of the largest he has ever removed. He gets a little quiet after that though and I do not feel like asking.

Later, after the bloodwork came back negative for tumor markers, he told me that usually when removing a tumor this size it has spread everywhere in the adjacent area. I was lucky but a CAT scan is needed to figure out if it spread somewhere else. Please come by on Thursday to do the CAT scan.

Will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment