Tuesday, February 17, 2009

January 9th. Day 4. Talk to my father via Skype

"Hi dad, how are you?"
"Hi son, good to see you, what's going on?"
"I have some bad news, pop. Are you OK to hear it now?"
"Are you sick?"
Damn, he always was perceptive.
"Apparently. I am sorry dad, I have testicular cancer and I need to be operated on in two days, on Monday".

I do not know what was harder, getting the news I had cancer or seeing the tear trickle down my dad's cheek.

"Dad, this is 90% curable, OK. Please do not worry too much. After the operation I will know more. I do not even have to stay overnight and I'll return home that same evening"

"Will the cancer be gone after the operation?"
"I don't know, pa. They took my blood to check for tumor markers in my blood and they need to biopsy the tissue which they cannot do of course, till Monday. I then need a CAT scan to determine of there is more in the area or somewhere else because it can go to the lungs, bone, liver and brain".

"no need to worry about brain cancer" he says.
We have a much needed laugh at that. Good man, my dad.

"How can it spread there though?"
"The testicles are formed under the lungs somewhere before you are born and then they drop. Blood supply is still there though so it can go to those places. I will find out in the next week, I hope".

We talk a little more and I am able to calm him down. I can tell that seeing my face via web cam is helping. I am angry at myself but I am not afraid and he can see it and he is feeding of it. My mom will be a different matter though. But I am going to have to let him deal with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment