Monday, February 16, 2009

January 8th. Day 3. Urologist.

"Marc, tell me what happened. Think as far back as you can remember and leave nothing out"
I tell him everything, including the fact that my internist friend called me a moron. He agrees with a gentle smile.
"We are going to take care of this, OK?"

"We have set up an appointment with the hospital. You need to be there at 6 a.m. Monday morning. I would have loved to operate on you sooner due to the fact you appear to have a very aggressive tumor and I want to take it out of you ASAP"
"What happens after?" I ask.

"We will biopsy the tissue, find out what kind of cancer you have. There are 6. Seminoma and non-seminoma. The first one is the most common and in the latter consists of a group of 5 different cancers which are a bit rare. I will know more after the operation and we can talk more then, OK?"
"Sure"

"Do not worry too much, this is the most curable form of cancer and even though you are older then the men that generally come in here, my best friend got it at 39 and he is perfectly fine. I will take great care of you and losing one testicle will not affect you much.

But we need to move now since this is very aggressive and we need to find out if it spread. Before you leave you need to give blood so we can test you for tumor markers. My nurse will do that. I'll see you Monday and if you have any questions or concerns call my office at any time. Even the weekend".

I nod in shock. Hard to stop the turmoil in my mind.
What am I going to tell my sons? There is no way I am not going to be around for them. I do not care if I lose both my nuts. Damn it.

They wanted to operate on me this Friday. Damn, that aggressive? Jesus, I am going to lose my testicle and might have cancer in other places.
I am glad I have the weekend to recuperate from the news.
What am I going to tell my parents? My boss. Shit, I am such an idiot. Why did I not check this out sooner? I need to be here for my sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment